Playwright Contest – Stage Production of Your Play
Santa Monica Theatre (SMT) located on famous Ocean Avenue is now accepting submissions of original short plays. SMT produces five short plays on their open air stage just feet from the sand of Santa Monica Beach. This festival of work focuses on story, character, dialogue, and talent performance. This contest is open to everyone and we encourage those who reside outside of the Los Angeles area to enter. Our event will be live streamed or broadcast at a later date on our website: www.santamonicatheatre.com. Writers selected who are unable to join us may watch online.
This contest is designed to help writers see their creations come to life with actors on stage, in front of a live audience. Hearing and seeing your script performed is a profound experience, and is essential for the creative growth of any playwright. Take advantage of this unique opportunity by submitting your script today! The regular deadline for March’s show is February 6th.
Awards & Prizes
- Five scripts will be selected as winners, and will be cast with professional actors (auditioned out of Los Angeles).
- The script will be preformed live on stage at Santa Monica Theatre in Santa Monica, California.
- The event will be streamed for those who can not attend in person.
- Writers will be acknowledged on stage, as well as on the Santa Monica Theatre’s website and Social Media channels.
Rules & Terms
- Scripts must be submitted as a PDF file.
- Script must have title page with: title, author, address, email, and phone number.
- Scripts must come with a cover letter including playwright bio and headshot.
- Scripts must be roughly ten to twenty pages. If the submission is over 20 pages it will not be read, and the submission fee cannot be refunded.
- Scripts must contain two or more characters.
- Every script submitted is in the running to be one of five works to be cast and performed at the Santa Monica Theatre.
- Submission fee ($10) must accompany the script.
- Winning writers, if in Los Angeles, are allowed to request to direct their play, but this cannot be guaranteed.
- Winning writers, if in Los Angeles, are allowed to request assisting with casting for their script but are not guaranteed their choice.
- Winning writers, if in Los Angeles, are allowed to request performing in their play but this cannot be guaranteed.
- If permitted to direct their play they may not perform in the play.
- If permitted to perform in their play they may not direct the play.
- Admission to the Short Play Night performances is $15.
- Live stream cost is $7 no cost for winners
- Writers are encourage to submit from anywhere in the world. NOTE: Santa Monica Theatre cannot pay for any travel expense or accommodations in Los Angeles.